Koh Samui is a growing gay holiday destination, especially for romantic couples. Gay life on Koh Samui is a relaxing, quieter, fun contrast to the exuberant gay life of Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket. Gay bars and cabaret are more laid back, open, friendly and accessible and while there is a ‘commercial’ side to some parts of the gay scene, most gay Thai men hold down regular jobs. They work in the hospitality businesses, while many are doctors, lawyers, veterinarians, and own or manage other businesses.
For those who are unfamiliar with Thailand, you’ll be pleased to hear the country is very tolerant, even welcoming of gay people. It’s perfectly comfortable to come out here, the atmosphere is relaxed and many local boys (and increasingly some girls) are gay.
In fact it is the friendly and easy going character of the Thai people that make the country such a popular destination for gay travellers. Not only are there numerous gay-friendly venues and accommodation, there are also lots of friendly locals for companionship.
Gay Accommodation on Koh Samui
Samui offers a wide range of accommodation, from brand names such as Four Seasons Resort and Samui Six Senses to 500 baht a night beach bungalows. No hotel has a non-gay policy and the emphasis is on the customer, making it popular.
Recommended Gay friendly hotels and resorts on Koh Samui:
– Ananas Samui Hostel: Sits 500 metres from Leam Set Beach. Features a/c dormitory rooms and bungalows with a wide range of facilities include Wi-Fi, outdoor pool, bar and restaurant…more details and booking
– Ark Bar Beach Resort: This beachfront venue located right in the center of Chaweng. Featuring the contemporary style rooms with bright colors, outdoor pools, bars and restaurant. Pool & beach parties are regularly hosted for its guests…more details and booking
– Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence: Sits peacefully on the southern part of Koh Samui. Features a villa-like style venue surrounded by nature & palm trees with a great restaurant, bar, pool, fitness center and spa on site…more details and booking
– Banyan House Bed and Breakfast: A unique Thai-styled guesthouse surrounded by a tropical garden and located just 10 minutes from Koh Samui Airport. All rooms and equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV, mini bar, safety box and bathroom with hot shower…more details and booking
– Beluga Boutique Hotel: This 14-room hotel sits on Lamai Beach. Featuring air conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi, LCD TV, a minibar, coffee & tea maker and a shower. There’re also a lounge bar, restaurant, massage service and mineral pool on site… more details and booking
– Buri Rasa Village Hotel: Sets on Chaweng Beach. This romantic resort features bar beachfront restaurant & bar, outdoor pool and Thai herbal spa. Thai furnished rooms and equipped with modern facilities such as air conditioning, Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, DVD/CD player, minibar, private balcony and laundry service…more details and booking
– Fair House Villas & Spa: Sits on Maenam Beach with tropical surroundings and next to the sea, it’s a perfect place for a special holiday or romantic getaway. This resort features a private beach, outdoor pool, beachfront restaurant, organic spa and sea view fitness center. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, balcony, separated bathtub and shower, cable TV and minibar…more details and booking
– Infinity Residences and Resort: An exclusive residence, located just a five-minute drive from Nathon Pier. Featuring luxurious experience with pools, fitness center, 24-hour free shuttle service, private beach, free Wi-Fi and a free mobile phone. All suites are fully equipped with air-conditioning, private balconies, 42-inch flat screen TV, open kitchen, living room, dining area and 24-hour room service…more details and booking
– Little Palace Chaweng Noi: A meticulous private home with two rooms for rent. Comes with a beautiful garden and pool. 64/20 Moo 3, Chaweng Noi (across from Fair-House-Hotel), South Chaweng, Tel: 089 587 8774.
– Mana’s Home: High on the hill above Chaweng is this large, modern Thai-style home with wonderful panoramic views. There are two rooms for rent and a sun deck and Jacuzzi. 42/26 Moo 6, Tambon Bophut, Chaweng Yai, Tel: 081 899 1767.
– Muang Kulaypan Hotel: Peacefully sits on Chaweng Beach with in a distance of city center. Featuring outdoor pool, pool bar, beachfront restaurant, extensive gardens and fitness center. All rooms are uniquely designed in Thai and Zen style as well as full equipped with modern facilities…more details and booking
– OZO Chaweng Samui: Setting on Chaweng Beach. A trendy beachfront hotel features outdoor pool, fitness center, restaurant and bar. All contemporary-styled rooms come with air conditioning, WiFi, flat screen TV, balcony and refrigerator… more details and booking
– The Library Hotel: A stylish and modern concept hotel sits on Chaweng Beach. Featuring a large library with selection of books, DVDs and an iMac computer corner. All rooms come with air-conditioning, living area, and balcony…more details and booking
– Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort: Sits on Lamai Beach. This luxury resort offer extensive facilities such as pool with Jacuzzi, spa, fitness center, beachfront bar and restaurant. Rooms are fully furnished and equipped with modern amenities…more details and booking
– Saboey Resort & Villas: Sets on Bangrak Beach, just a 10-minute drive from Koh Samui Airport. A beautiful and secluded resort features modern rooms with air conditioning, free Wi-Fi, balcony, satellite TV, and minibar. Outdoor pool with Jacuzzi, tropical garden, spa, beachfront restaurant and bar are also available on site…more details and booking
– Samui Pier Beach Resort: Sits right on Big Buddha Beach. A 12-bedroom resort offers furnished rooms with air conditioning, free Wi-Fi, minibar, LCD TV, bathroom with a shower and safety box…more details and booking
– Secret Garden Beach Resort: Sits on Big Buddha Beach and only a 10-minute drive from Koh Samui Airport. Features equipped rooms with modern amenities such as air conditioning rooms, Wi-Fi, private balcony, flat-screen TV, cable TV & DVD player, refrigerator, tea & coffee making and safety box. Beachfront restaurant offers a variety of Thai and Western dishes…details and booking
Gay Venues on Koh Samui
Emerald Green Mens’ Club: Koh Samui’s premier gay massage business provides quality ‘man-4-man’ massage and treatments, and they have well trained gay Thai masseurs. They also have a branch at the five-star X2 Resort. Open: 12:00-20:30 (daily), Chaweng Beach Road (opposite Nora Beach), Tel: (087) 814 22 60.
BoyZone: This smart, revamped, air-conditioned bar and massage venue is a sofisticated meeting place for the growing gay community. There is an elegantly-designed bar here where you can watch outstanding male dance shows nightly. Open: 14:00-20:00, 45/16 Moo 3, Bophut (down a short Soi opposite Centara Grand Beach Resort), Tel: (077) 230 611, Email.
Male Box: This bar currently wrestles for an identity, now aiming for a mixed audience – boy/ladyboy. The show happens nightly at 22:30 and is known as the ‘old fashioned drag cabaret’. Despite the moniker, it is a smart, comfortable place with air conditioning. No rent boys. Chaweng Beach Road (down a short soi, opposite the Centara Grand Beach Resort), South Chaweng, Tel: 089 730 1869.
Gay Cabarets on Koh Samui
Koh Samui, and Thailand in general, has an obsession with ladyboy/boy cabarets. There are some such clubs for gay, but mainly mixed, audiences.
Christie’s Cabaret: The original Koh Samui cabaret show is still running, although is looking a bit worse for wear. The show runs at 22:00 nightly and has free entry. Chaweng Beach Road (down a short soi, close to Burger King, Tel: 081 894 0356.
Sweet Soul Café and Green Mango: Mixed venues with a gay slant that gets busy around 23:00. The music is loud and it’s a bit grubby, but is fun for the non-puritan gay. Both freelance ladyboys and local gay guys frequent the dance floor. Closes at 02:00. Central Chaweng.
G-Bar: This gay bar features a cabaret show nightly at 22:30 and comes with a decent drinks menu. Open: 18:00-02:00; Soi Colibri, Chaweng Beach (near Centara Hotel), Tel: (086) 021 6986.
K Club Bar: The original rent boy venue; a small, unassuming place with friendly staff. Open: 14:00-02:00; Chaweng Beach Road (behind Starbucks), Central Chaweng, Tel: (077) 256 171, (081) 282 7244.
The Stage: A newly venue on Chaweng Beach, offers cozy and colorful cabaret show with Tapas bar. Nightly shows at 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30. 200/16 Moo 2 Chaweng Beach (opposite Central Festival), Tel: (081) 894 3250.
Starz Cabaret: This gay owned venue features a beautiful and glamorous show nightly at 20:30, 21:30 PM and 22:30. Free entry and reasonably priced drinks. Chaweng Beach (near Escudo Beach Club Hotel), Tel: (084) 744 9074.
Gay Activities on Koh Samui
Rainbow-scuba & Tours: Long-running company providing first class service for gay travellers, including diving, accommodation and sightseeing. Tel: (086) 272 0980.